“Sandbox” is the name of this 27″ x 18″ wall hanging. The balls seem to be floating or rolling in the sandbox… It is snowing today – this is the best I could do for a picture.
I pieced the background from scraps of beige fabrics, just adding pieces here and there until I had fabric of the size I wanted. It was a fun way to use all those scraps! Making my own fabric was very relaxing as there was not a lot of measuring or planning going on.
Then, I had apple cores from a class I took two and a half years ago using Quiltsmart interface. I had wanted to use them to make beach balls but did not have the right background for them, until this one came together. I positioned the apple cores to form the ball, fused and machine appliqued them using monofilament and a small zigzag stitch.
I used Aurifil 50wt for the piecing and Aurifil 28wt for the quilting, making loops as I imagined the balls’ trajectory. I really like Aurifil threads for piecing (hardly any lint) and for quilting (I have quilted with 50wt, 40wt, and 28wt, depending on the effect I want – always easy to handle and my Bernina likes it, too).
This wall hanging provided a good break from Christmas shopping and baking. Now I am ready to prepare some more goodies: this year I am giving Brazilian sweets to friends and neighbors:
I found the boxes at Hobby Lobby, perfect for what I had in mind. Today I am preparing more sweets, so no time for sewing.